24-27th April 2019, IO PAN
- "ECSD5 2019" is the fifth "European Conference on Scientific Diving" organised by the IO PAN Scientific Diving TEAM, in Sopot, first time in Poland. Conferences of this series were originally initiated by the European Scientific Diving Panel in 2015 by combining "The Research in Shallow Marine and Fresh Water Systems" and "The International Symposium on Occupational Scientific Diving" into one general meeting held once a year. More on ECSD 2019
20th September 2018, IO PAN
- BALTIC SEA & (OUTER) SPACE.NEW PERESPECTIVE FOR OUR REGION Conference took place at IO PAN SOPOT. The conference was attended by representatives of business, science and administration. More on Polish Maritime Cluster
14-15th August 2018, Spitsbergen.
Thanks for the support – rescue operation by Norwegian to our "Oceania".
6th June 2018 Brussels - Save the Date!
- EurOcean is organising a very special event to pay tribute to its co-founder, Prof. Mário Ruivo, and to raise awareness on Ocean Literacy. The event will take place in Brussels at the Centre of Fine Arts on Wednesday 6th June 2018. flyer, brochure, press release.
26th May 2018
Sopot Science Day entitled "Sea you without plastic!" The event was organized with the support of the President of Sopot and took place on 26 May 2018 between 10:00 and 15:00 at the Square of the Friends of Sopot (Plac Przyjaciół Sopotu).
The event is also on FB. Photos 1, photos 2
25 May 2018, XI International Sopot Youth Conference entitled "Where the World is Heading".
- The Sopot Science Association (SSA) together with the Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences welcome to the conference which is traditionally held at the Institute of Oceanology in Sopot. This conference is the continuation of the long tradition of the Sopot Youth Forum. Since 2008 over 500 scientists from different countries have presented their work during the Forum.
20 th March 2018. Research projects during the expedition s/y Katharsis II
around Antarctic continent south of the 60th parallel
Apart from the new sailing world record, the Katharsis II voyage has supported research on the Southern Ocean’s environment. All research are conducted in co-operation with the Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Aboard the Katharsis II, the Institute is represented by professor Piotr Kukliński.
Katharsis II participates in the ARGO ARGO international scientific programme. The aim of the programme is to research changes to global oceans which focuses on global measurements of salinity and water temperature with the use of specialist profiling floats. During the cruise three such autonomous appliances within the MOCCA EU project (Monitoring the Oceans and Climate Change with Argo), were deployed.
More information on the expedition Katharsis II
14th March 2018, IO PAN
We were invited to the presentation of dr Karoline Hammer on "EFFECT OF ORGANIC COMPOUNDS ON THE ACID-BASE SYSTEM OF THE BALTIC SEA". Dr Karoline Hammer is a specialist in marine chemistry, she conducts research on the role of organic matter in functioning an acid-base system in the coastal zone of the southern Baltic. She is on her 3 month post-doctoral internship at the IO PAN.
More info on the lecturer and his research interest.
26th January 2018, IO PAN
- The guest of the Institute was Dr. Luca Ferrero from the University of Milan, who gave a lecture on "Vertical profiles of aerosols from mid-latitudes to the North Pole". Dr Ferrero cooperates with scientists from the Air-Sea Interaction Laboratory of the IO PAN.